Monday, June 15, 2009

PICTURES FROM PAST ADVENTURES

ON THE TUG HILL PLATEAU

TALLY HO!! and GREETINGS TO THE LOYAL ORDER OF THE BIG WOODS HARE HUNTERS OF THE ALLEGHENY.
Pictured above, from February 2005, are (L) the High Hare Man of The High Plateau, Joe Ewing, Sr. and (R) Board Member Ray Wolford and of course a magnificent Snowshoe Hare. The Hounds in the picture are (L) Little Toby Creek Patch and (R) her son Lucky, owned by Jim Hanson.
As I remember the snow was particularly deep and fluffy that day so we decided wisely to put out only two hounds. Patch and Lucky did a great job and Ray ended up with a trophy from the Tug Hill.
07/30/09 A funny little story I remembered while looking at this post.
We had a "guide" that day, I don't remember his name, provided by Harry Potter at the Salmon Heaven Lodge where were staying. As I remember, as soon as we entered the woods Lucky and Patch jumped a hare, a snowshoe hare or as I prefer "A magnificent Snowshoe Hare". Anyway the two hounds were doing a pretty fair job running the Hare and each time someone would glimpse the Hare they would alert everyone of their sighting over the hand held radios.
After almost an hour of this the guide who still remains nameless started asking everyone, "Why in the hell doesn't someone shoot the thing?" The response of course, to a man, was "The One Hour Rule". "What the hell is a one hour rule? Never heard of such a thing", he said.
Anyway, this Hare ran for a long time before Ray finally shot it. I remember the hounds taking it way down over the hill. It stayed for quite some time and sure enough when I went down it ran back up where I had just been patiently waiting. Well, not too patient.
I remember the Hare running across a big open field too.

No comments: